Vallum Release Notes
Release Date : 7 Mar 2017
How to upgrade from Vallum 2.x:
Backup your current Vallum configuration exporting it or saving as custom preset. Run Vallum 2.2 installer. Your Mac will reboot.
ZIP file md5 checksum : fe11499b3798b93ddb0c89f716b637de
Release Date : 12 Dec 2016
How to upgrade from Vallum 2.0:
Backup your current Vallum configuration exporting it or saving as custom preset. Run Vallum 2.1 installer. Your Mac will reboot.
- Lock/unlock the firewall providing administrator password. Administrators can use Vallum to constrain normal users connectivity
- Improved apps rules logic, now it is possible to add both blocked and passed records to both inclusive and exclusive apps
- Added contextual menus for all lists
- Copy/Paste IP addresses, hostnames and apps rulesets from contextual menus
- Pass/block apps, ports or IP addresses from logs contextual menu
- Improved GUI readability and usability
- Show per-apps logs in apps popover view
- Fixed Murus interaction bugs
- Minor bugs fixed
ZIP file md5 checksum : fb26f9645b4dd5d0bad6516899e13f5c
Release Date : 22 Nov 2016
How to update:
To upgrade from Vallum 1.3.1 please save your current configuration as custom preset then run Vallum 2.0 installer.
If you previously added Vallum 1.3.1 login items to some users (to start Vallum Agent at login) then you have to manually remove them as they are not needed any more. Default colors in Vallum 2.0 are a bit different from Vallum 1.3.1. To improve readability you can open Vallum 2.0 preferences -> Appearance and click "Default colors".
- improved TCP and UDP filters, now the filter matches all processes and all TCP/UDP connections
- added a new layer of rules: global network rules
- simplified notification window
- step by step configuration assistant
- improved predefined strategies
- new GUI now displays all rules in the same window
- enable/disable the firewall directly from Vallum icon near the macOS clock
- added support for IPv6 subnets in rules
- pass/block subnets from notification alerts
- improved overall stability
- support for multiple users and fast user switching
- dropped support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- trial policy has changed, now all features are available in trial mode. The only trial limitation is a popup reminder every 4 hours.
- minor improvements such as confirmation dialogs, sort apps alphabetically, and such
- notification alerts appear always in the center of active screen.
- optional set of icons for increased readability or color blind users
- dark theme
- bug fixes
- improved documentation
ZIP file md5 checksum : 56199a249dc9b34677c91519342ac59d
Release Date : 12 Oct 2016
How to update:
Before updating to Vallum 1.3.1 please backup your configuration saving it as custom preset. You will be able to restore it once Vallum 1.3.1 is installed.
- improved stability when using two or more monitors
ZIP file md5 checksum : 5d8098913e014505b7adf98170845539
Release Date : 10 Oct 2016
- Vallum code ported to Swift 3
- improved interface now uses modal panels and progress indicators
- simplified registration process
- app view displays a question mark when a managed app is missing
- added option to hide popup message when automatically switching preset
- added option to hide splash screen at Vallum startup
- added option to enable app's signature verification in apps view (disabled by default)
- signature verification speed improved, bundle resources are ignored
- changed Vallum configuration location, now in /etc
- changed Vallum configuration file format to binary however old text based xml file can be used. It is also possible to export text based configurations keeping the ALT/OPTION key pressed while Vallum Tools menu is open.
- notification alerts 'silence' button is always unchecked in new alerts
- bug fixes
ZIP file md5 checksum : f9078af07f6171992b61b99ca050a82e
Release Date : 8 Sep 2016
- App signature information is back like in Vallum 1.0 and early 1.1 betas. Each app displays an icon to inform whether the app is signed or not.
- Logging kernel extension removed. Now the Vallum core relies on a single network kernel extension which takes care of both filtering and logging.
- Logs window now displays if a connection is passed or blocked. Blocked connections are red.
- Fixed permissions, now Vallum can be used by non-admin users on Sierra.
- Logs window now displays the responsible app for an XPC service connection ("via" connections).
- Added automatic XPC services management.
- Exclusions behavior has changed. Now apps that match an exclusions are not displayed in main apps view. Managed apps do override exclusions.
- Vallum user guide is now online and available in-app as well.
- Improved GUI with new buttons to add/remove exclusions and view log file.
- Added confirmation dialogs.
- Log apps connections to file.
- Log file rotation.
- Improved custom presets management.
- Bug fixes
ZIP file md5 checksum : 9b6772aa8efb8f59d27d04fa9522c22d
Release Date : 27 June 2016
- added option to pass/block port from notification popup alert.
- added two new app statuses: inclusive and exclusive apps.
- apps records can now be edited in app popover view.
- edit apps rules adding/removing IPv4 addresses, IPv6 addresses, hostnames, IPv4 CIDR subnets, ports, port ranges.
- via connections: when possible, agent displays app responsible for an xpc helper connection.
- apps can be sorted by status, type or signature.
- apps can be filtered by name (in "big icons" view mode) or searched by name (in "list" view mode).
- apps logs can be filtered by process name or address.
- option to change apps labels colors.
ZIP file md5 checksum : da6a4436f2ecdad763ced87472b0c955
Release Date : 29 apr 2016
ZIP file md5 checksum : e69875fa77a03f02728e0720a9272fe3
First public Release
Vallum V 1.0 Public Beta
Release Date : 6 apr 2016
ZIP file md5 checksum : a1d3fc4f6b843ff9ddf52b69dd5c1b66
First public Beta